Published June 5, 2014
Stellar goaltending pushes Country Day to 1-0 victory and spot in D-3 semifinals
By Mike Moore firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Mike on Twitter.
FARMINGTON HILLS — Outplayed. Outshot. Outgunned.
Not outscored, and that’s all that matters.
The Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day soccer team is moving on in the Division 3 state playoffs after a 1-0 victory Thursday night against Flint Powers Catholic in a regional final at Farmington Hills Harrison.
“As I’m sitting here now talking, I don’t know how we won,” coach Bob Bukari said with a laugh after the victory. “It was great heart, great effort and great goaltending by our team. We had just about everything going against us, but we found a way.”
Jenna Staudt scored the game’s only goal early in the first half, heading in a corner kick.
From there, goaltender Isabel Nino took over.
“She was brilliant,” Bukari said. “We could have lost 10-1 without her.”
Flint Powers (18-1-2) was the favorite coming in, and dominated play after Country Day took the lead.
“They had the wind at their back, and they controlled the whole second half,” Bukari said. “We had some great shots blocked. We defended so well. We just fought and found a way.”
Country Day, now 23-3-3, will have to wait until Saturday to see who it faces in next Wednesday’s semfinal.
Freeland High and Frankenmuth face one another at 1 p.m. Saturday in their regional final.
The D-3 semi is set for 6:30 p.m. at Ortonville-Brandon.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals