Troy, Southfield, Lathrup VillageFebruary 1, 2013
Southfield-Lathrup boys basketball beats Troy High in final second
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
LATHRUP VILLAGE — It came down, literally, to the final second, but Southfield-Lathrup boys basketball bested Troy High 76-74 in an Oakland Activities Association Red Division tilt Feb. 1 at home.
Lathrup senior guard Jonathan Williams hit a pull-up jumper with less than a second remaining for the victory.
"I've been working hard this week on those shots, and it paid off today," Williams said.
Troy started the game near flawless, jumping to a 24-13 lead after the first quarter with Williams going to the bench early in the frame with foul trouble.
Even with their leading scorer out, the Chargers were able to cut the lead to 34-31 at the half.
“Mainly, we started running, which is how we like to play anyways," Lathrup coach Desmond Denham said of his team's comeback. "Once we started running, our bench was a little deeper, and I thought we’d wear them down a little bit. That’s what we do. When we don’t run, we don’t play well.”
Troy coach Gary Fralick said the inconsistent play has plagued his team all season.
"We do play hard, though. We were going after the loose balls. Unfortunately, they came up with more of them," he said.
Troy trailed by three points with 11 seconds to play when Joe Leonard hit a 3-pointer to tie it at 74, setting up Williams' game-winner.
"The only thing I might have done different was double team him," Fralick said. "When we hit that 3-pointer, I decided to stay with our defense and hope he missed, but it didn't work out for us."
Williams finished with a game-high 25 points, scoring the Chargers' final 12, and totaled 18 in the fourth quarter.
With the win, Lathrup moves to 6-9 overall and 3-3 in the division. Troy is 5-8 overall and 3-4 in the league.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start