Grosse Pointe FarmsOctober 31, 2012
South soccer wins district title; falls in regionals
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
The Grosse Pointe South boys soccer season has come to an end at the hands of Utica Ford II following a 3-0 regional semifinal loss Oct. 23.
Despite not having an opportunity to move on in the postseason, coach Stefan Harris hopes his team reflects on their accomplishments.
“It’s unfortunate, but we’ll grow,” he said. “This is our first time (in regionals) here in five years, and it’s a good experience for the boys. We take the positive out of everything. It was a great season. We achieved a lot of our goals we set at the beginning of the year.”
One of those achieved goals was South’s first district championship since 2007. Earlier this season, Harris spoke about putting soccer back on the map at South, and he considers a district title to be a nice start in that direction.
John Griffin, Jeffrey Woolstrum, Alexander Detwiler, Joshua Carolan, Maxim Ganesch, Mark Adamszek, Samuel Archinal, Noah Stenhouse, Alexander Wilson and Noel Fets represent the 10 seniors on the squad who helped the team achieve its goal.
Harris appreciates the effort of the entire team.
“Every game I’ve been happy with my team’s effort,” he said. “Do we have the (same) skill as a lot of teams? No. But our heart and our work ethic has got us this far. I couldn’t be more proud of these guys.”
Harris is hoping that the team’s success pays dividends as the program moves forward. A district championship can help to create excitement around a program, and he is hoping the players who return next year can help to make some more good memories.
“We set a good standard now,” Harris said. “Hopefully, the JV players and underclassmen see the success our seniors have had this year, and the varsity team. We get going right at the end of this season. We have our meeting next week and we get started (on the) offseason right away. It’s exciting.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start