Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe WoodsMarch 14, 2012
South, Liggett girls win regional titles, advance in tournament
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Grosse Pointe South’s and Grosse Pointe University Liggett’s girls basketball teams won regional titles and advanced to play in the final rounds of their respective state tournament divisions after press time.
The Blue Devils, competing in Class A, and Ligget (Class C), were slated to play in state quarterfinals March 13. Should they win, they will advance to the state semifinals, which are played at the Breslin Center at Michigan State University, which is also the site of the state finals.
South, slated to play Waterford Kettering in the quarters, would advance to play the winner of the Ann Arbor Huron and Saginaw Arthur Hill quarterfinal in a 2:30 p.m. March 16 semifinal. The Class A state final is set for noon March 17.
Liggett, which took on Riverview Gabriel Richard in the quarters, would move on to a 1 p.m. March 15 semifinal against either Concord or Niles Brandywine. The Class C final is at 4 p.m. March 17.
South improved to 21-3 after defeating Romeo High 56-45 in a March 6 regional semifinal and then topping Chippewa Valley 69-48 in the March 8 regional final. Both games were played at Utica Henry Ford II.
Liggett upped its record to 21-4 while taking its second consecutive regional trophy by beating Flint Hamady 51-33 in a March 6 semifinal and Detroit Consortium 63-29 in a March 8 final, all at Auburn Hills Oakland Christian.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team - Mount Clemens
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley