Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe WoodsNovember 14, 2012
South and Liggett volleyball seasons end in regional playoffs
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
Grosse Pointe South volleyball’s impressive postseason run came to an end Nov. 8 with a 3-0 loss to Macomb Dakota in a Class A regional final at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore.
Although the Blue Devils’ season may have wrapped up sooner than they would have preferred, it didn’t end before they made some history along the way.
Prior to its loss to Dakota, South won four postseason matches, picking up a district title and an opening-round regional victory over Sterling Heights.
South finished the season with an overall record of 35-13-2.
Coach Ryan Welser hopes his squad will look back with appreciation on all it accomplished during the season.
“We set a school records for wins this year,” he said. “We won the first district championship in 16 years. We made the first divisional final championship in nearly 20 years. A lot of things set the tone. It’s hard to get to regional finals (the) first time and expect to move on. We’ve never done it. Maybe in a year or two it’s going to be our turn. It’s definitely something to build on. I’m definitely proud of the girls.”
Welser hopes the Blue Devils can look back on their 2012 season as one in which helped propel them to even bigger and better things.
“This is going to be a team in five years we’ll look back and say, ‘How did we get over that hump,’” he said. “We’re going to look back at this group of girls and say this group got us over the edge — past Grosse Pointe North (in a 3-2 district semifinal victory) into regional finals.”
Although seniors Neala Berkowski, Emily Satterfield, Claire DeBoer and Maya Grever won’t be returning next season, Welser believes South has a strong nucleus of players intact to make what he hopes will be another strong run.
“We’ve got five sophomores on the team,” he said. “We’ve got five returning starters. We’ve got our core of serve-receivers returning, (and) our setters returning. So, we’re returning a lot. Girls on the bench we can interchange. We’re very loaded, top to bottom.”
In other local regional tournament news:
Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett’s season has also come to a close after being defeated by Auburn Hills Oakland Christian 3-1 in a Class C regional semifinal match Nov. 6 at Memphis High School. The Knights won their second consecutive district championship prior to their loss to Oakland Christian.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Mercy powers past Ladywood to claim first Catholic League crown since 2003 - Farmington Hills
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start