Several local wrestlers qualify for individual state finals
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
High schools in the C & G coverage area will be well represented when prep wrestlers hit the mat for the 2013 Michigan High School Athletic Association individual state finals.
The finals take place Feb. 28-March 2 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
Here is a list of local grapplers who qualified in their respective weight classes and divisions. The finals comprise wrestlers from four divisions. The top four wrestlers at regionals — in each weight class — qualified for the individual finals.
The top eight wrestlers in each weight class earn All-State honors at the finals
Wrestlers’ records leading up to the finals are in parentheses.
103 pounds: Eddie Dickow, Utica Stevenson (33-5); Sal Caruso, Macomb Dakota (48-7); Brendan Hazelton, L’Anse Creuse (41-16); Kaleb Marion, Walled Lake Central (40-10); and Michael Volyanyuk, Farmington Hills Harrison (42-7).
112 pounds: Justin Schofield, Rochester Adams (40-12); Kyle Noonan, Rochester Hills Stoney Creek (44-3); Justin Kim, Rochester High (46-7); Daniel Shear, Walled Lake Central (42-5); and Dan Colon, L’Anse Creuse (35-14).
119 pounds: Stephen Bicbelhausen, Rochester Adams (27-9); and McGuire Reid, Utica Eisenhower (35-9).
125 pounds: Garett Strube, Warren Mott (36-4); Josh Wood, Rochester High (13-0); Immanual Govantes, Farmington High (46-5); Jack Mulligan, Chippewa Valley (33-26); and Ross Bahro, West Bloomfield (46-3).
130 pounds: Thomas Keyes, Troy Athens (44-6); Drew Martin, Sterling Heights High (48-3); Austin Murray, Walled Lake Western (36-15); and Tabu Gantt, Utica Stevenson (37-8).
135 pounds: Chris Mikhjain, Rochester Adams (36-13); Christian Lauderback, Walled Lake Northern (42-6); Tevin Machart, Utica Ford II (40-2); and Jazz Hubbard, Troy Athens (41-7).
140 pounds: Bobby Mathieson, Farmington Hills Harrison (39-15); Jeff Fresch, Roseville High (33-13); Kaelan Richards, Rochester High (50-2); and Jake Hazelton, Rochester Hills Stoney Creek (32-14).
145 pounds: Alex Bozinovski, Macomb Dakota (46-9); LaRone Mack, Farmington Hills Harrison (42-10); Andrew Napieraj, Birmingham Brother Rice (47-2); and Jack Addy, Rochester Adams (39-13).
152 pounds: Jake Johnson, Macomb Dakota (54-2); and Andrew Price, Rochester Hills Stoney Creek (44-10).
160 pounds: Shon Powell, Birmingham Brother Rice (38-2); Dean Vettese, Rochester High (40-1); Mitch Craig, Walled Lake Central (42-5); and Aaron Wells, Utica Ford II (30-15).
171 pounds: Brandon Mattinen, Warren De La Salle (43-5); Shane Shadaia, Rochester High (32-6); Devan Richter, L’Anse Creuse (46-3); and Tyler Petrone, Roseville (37-12).
189 pounds: Lamar Harris, Roseville (32-15); Shwan Shadaia, Rochester High (48-1); Josiah Thomas, Birmingham Brother Rice (43-5); and Antonio Balabani, Macomb Dakota (50-6).
215 pounds: Joe Schudt, Warren De La Salle (41-6); LaVonte Perdue, Warren Mott (39-7); and Austin Denha, Rochester Hills Stoney Creek (37-15).
Heavyweight: Lamonte Baker, L’Anse Creuse North (43-5); Richie Roberts, Warren De La Salle (38-7); and Paul Scott, Lake Orion (41-12).
112 pounds: Andrew Gorman, Madison Heights Lamphere (51-2).
119 pounds: Aaron Ward, St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (41-10); and Garret Kaerchaer, Warren Lincoln (44-11).
125 pounds: Riwan Hormiz, Warren Lincoln (44-10); Nick Pipes, Warren Woods Tower (42-8); and JacQuan Moore, St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (41-3).
130 pounds: Noah Hanau, St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (47-2); Robert Pope, Warren Lincoln (32-9); Hunter Mayer, Warren Woods Tower (30-3); and Davion Williams, Southfield High (35-11).
135 pounds: Delando Davis-Wright, Southfield High (38-9); and Evan Reich, Madison Heights Lamphere (42-9).
140 pounds: Dustin Clapp, St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (33-15); and Khannor Kaercher, Warren Lincoln (47-4).
145 pounds: Demitrius Reid, Warren Woods Tower (26-22); and Grant Sharkey, Auburn Hills Avondale (41-6).
152 pounds: Keith Bucholtz, Hazel Park (28-13); Gunner Harrison, Lake Shore (38-16); Ethan Eisenmann, Warren Lincoln (40-11); and Ken Daniels, Southfield High (37-10).
160 pounds: Eric Bird II, Ferndale (24-10); JP McDougall, St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (40-9); and Alexander Placido-Curle, St. Lake Shore (33-19).
171 pounds: Dillon Brancheau, Auburn Hills Avondale (39-12).
Heavyweight: Michael Abouya, Warren Lincoln (28-8).
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley