Roseville, Sterling HeightsFebruary 15, 2012
Roseville wrestling heads to state finals after besting Sterling Heights in regional final
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
WARREN — It wasn't easy, but Roseville High's wrestling team punched its ticket to the state finals with a 43-28 win over Sterling Height High in a regional final at Warren Cousino High Feb. 15.
Down 22-12 going into the 160-pound bout, Panthers grappler Alex Mafteiu, in a bout that went a full three rounds, fought his way to three points for his team, cutting the Stallions' lead to seven. Roseville, including the Mafteui decision, would go on to finish the regional final on a 31-6 run, culminating with three straight pins — worth six points each — to close out the 14-match final.
"I knew I needed to score some points for us, so I just went out and fought as hard as I could," Mafteui said.
With their comeback, the Panthers are the only local team to advance to the state finals.
"We just came together as a team," Panthers coach Davon Gray said. "Even when we got down, we just kept going after it and fought our way to a win."
Roseville advances to the state finals for the third year in a row. Last season, the Panthers fell in the opening round. This year's finals take place Feb. 24-25 in Battle Creek. Pairings and a schedule will be available Feb. 19 at www.mhsaa.com.
"We know it'll be a challenge, but this is what we work for all season long," Gray said. "We'll be confident going in."
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start