Eastpointe, RosevilleMarch 7, 2012
Roseville, East Detroit fall in semifinal showdowns
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
ST. CLAIR SHORES — The local girls basketball teams saw their seasons come to an end Feb. 29 in the Class A district semifinals.
Roseville High fell 66-52 to Chippewa Valley at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore, while East Detroit lost 54-27 to St. Clair Shores Lakeview at Grosse Pointe North. Both local squads had received first-round byes.
For a recap of the Roseville and Chippewa game, including photos, visit our website at www.candg news.com.
The Panthers pounced on Chippewa early, showing signs of the potential coach Angela Houghton knew they had.
“They showed me what we’ve been working on, but in bits and pieces, and we just couldn’t put it all together,” the coach said. “They definitely have had the potential all season. And they put forth a lot of effort to improve all season.
“I’m really proud of them,” she continued. “I’m looking forward to next season.”
Houghton and the Panthers have plenty to look forward to, as they have a young program, led by freshman center Brianna Hodge.
“I think we’re excited about our freshman, and we’re looking to build a lot around her,” Houghton said.
But the Panthers will be hard-pressed to replace their senior class, including Marie Six, Del’Cresha Kiekens, Samantha Socia, Jazemin Martin, Latrice Livingston and Tierra Kelley. Houghton called Kelley the team’s “MVP.”
“She puts her heart on the floor,” the coach said. “She does a really nice job.”
Kelley scored a game-high 21 points against Chippewa.
East Detroit, meanwhile, will also have plenty to build off of, as the Shamrocks are very young and had no seniors on their playoff roster this season.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start