- Boys Football Dakota PPD Chippewa Valley PPD 9/03
- Boys Football Southfield Lathrup 7 Royal Oak High 21 9/03
- Boys Tennis Troy Athens 5 Rochester 3 9/02
- Boys Tennis Fraser 6 Chippewa Valley 2 9/02
- Boys Soccer Rochester Adams 1 De La Salle 0 9/01
- Boys Soccer Brother Rice 2 Fenton 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Macomb Dakota 1 Utica 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Sterling Heights Stevenson 4 Grosse Pointe North 0 8/31
Roeper soccer team sneaks past Southfield Christian 2-1, claims first district title since 2008
October 19, 2013
PLYMOUTH — For five years, they’ve built toward this.
Close calls and near misses all leading to a cold, rainy and gray Saturday afternoon where the Birmingham Roeper boys soccer team shook off frustration and grasped a district trophy for the first time since 2008.
“This is huge, a big deal for our kids and our program,” coach Ed Sack said after his guys beat Southfield Christian 2-1 in a Division 4 final at Plymouth Christian. “These guys have been through a lot, done a lot to get to this point. It’s just awesome to finally get it.”
The teams, which met twice in the regular season, played back and forth all afternoon.
Southfield Christian struck in the first half on a goal by Patrick Brose, but Roeper had the only two scores in the second half.
Max Whipple tied the game at 1-1 for Roeper, and Simon Roennecke notched the winner shortly after.
“We battled them as well as we had all season, but I think we gave them two easy goals,” Southfield Christian coach Dennis Brose said. “That was a tough loss.”
Roeper, which beat Southfield Christian twice in the regular season, improves to 17-4-0 and takes on Ann Arbor Greenhills at 7 p.m. Oct. 22 at Madison Heights Bishop Foley in a regional semifinal.
“To beat the same team three times is never easy,” Brose added. “This was one of our main goals this season, so to do it is pretty special.”
The Eagles end the season 10-11-0.