Utica, Troy, Rochester, Rochester HillsFebruary 13, 2013
Rochester High wrestling wins long awaited regional title
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
OXFORD — After coming so close so many times, Rochester High wrestling broke through and won the school's first regional title.
The Falcons handled their opponents, beating Utica Eisenhower 66-11 in the Division 1 final Feb. 13 at Oxford High after taking down Troy High 68-10.
"It isn't over, but our goal was to get to Battle Creek (site of the state quarterfinal, semifinals and final) and take it one match at a time," Rochester coach Frank Lafferty said. "The kids worked hard for this."
In the final, Rochester lost only two matches, and one of them was a void. The Falcons recorded 10 pins out of the 14 bouts.
"We definitely couldn't look past these teams, but we're coming together at the right time," Rochester senior captain Kaelan Richards said.
"We were just out-gunned; they are good from top to bottom," Eisenhower coach Ricky Hinchliffe said.
Eisenhower earned a spot in the final after beating Birmingham Seaholm 40-36, getting a pin from Alec Franks at 145 pounds in the final match for the victory.
Up next, Rochester heads to the Kellogg Arena for its quarterfinal at 3:15 p.m. Feb. 22. The Falcons will learn of their opponent Feb. 17 when the remaining teams are seeded.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start