RochesterFebruary 23, 2012
Rochester High team portion of wrestling comes to an end
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
It was quite the compliment for Rochester High wrestler Cody Devoe.
After his team fell against Oxford High 31-27 in a Division 1 regional final Feb. 15 at Utica Ford II, coach Frank Lafferty called the senior the best leader he’s had in his nine years at Rochester.
“He’s done a great job with the team and has contributed as much as the coaches have with this team,” Lafferty said. “The kids (look up) to him. He leads by example, makes the right choices and is a great kid. He’s the best captain I’ve had here.”
Devoe helped lead the Falcons to an Oakland Activities Association Red Division title and one of its best seasons in years.
“I’m real proud of everyone on the team,” he said. “They wrestled as hard as they could. We came out a match short, but Oxford is a good team, and I think they’ll go far this year in states.”
Rochester had beaten Oxford, the defending D-1 state champion, earlier this season, but were unable to overcome the Wildcats this time around.
“I knew it was going to be close, and it was their night,” Lafferty said. “I knew it was going to be about bonus points, and bonus points is what did it.”
Each team won seven matches and had two pins apiece, but Oxford gained an additional six points when Rochester voided at 215.
“The reality is, we have a really young team, and the guys that got pinned did the best job they could do. Nobody has anything to be ashamed about. We fought hard, I think. It was a great, hard dual,” Lafferty said. “We’ll be all right; we’re not going anywhere.”
In the regional semifinal, Rochester beat Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse 66-12.
“I’m really proud,” Devoe said. “We never made it to states as a team at Rochester, but to make it this far, I thought was an accomplishment. It was fun.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals