Rochester, Rochester HillsSeptember 20, 2012
Rochester Adams volleyball edges Rochester High
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
ROCHESTER — Rochester High volleyball didn’t go away without a fight, but it was Rochester Adams that took the Sept. 20 Oakland Activities Association Red Division rivalry match.
The Highlanders won 25-17, 26-24, 23-25 and 25-21.
“They really stepped up, and there was no letdown,” Adams coach Reay Zoellner said of his team. “We had good communication and energy, even when we lost the third game. Everyone pushed hard.”
Adams nearly made it a swep, leading by as many as eight points in the third game, but the Falcons clawed their way back for the eventual win.
“We knew Rochester was good. They got in our heads a little bit, but we pulled through,” Adams senior Jennifer Gerlach said.
Adams again took an early lead in the final game, having a five-point advantage before Rochester closed it to 21-19. But unforced errors and Madison Nelson’s block on game point sealed the deal.
“We just have too many errors at the wrong time,” Rochester coach Lauren Duquette said.
Adams moves to 9-13-1 overall and 1-1 in the Red. Rochester falls to 11-13 and 0-1 in the division.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start