Birmingham, Orchard LakeFebruary 16, 2013
Rice beats St. Mary's in OT thriller in Catholic final
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
DETROIT — The third win in the season series got them a trophy, a fourth win would take them one step closer to another.
Chandler Gillespie scored with 1:06 remaining in overtime, giving Birmingham Brother Rice a 4-3 victory against Orchard Lake St. Mary’s in the Catholic League’s Division 1 championship game Saturday night at Joe Louis Arena.
It’s the third win for Rice against the Eaglets this year, and the teams are set to open the D-1 state playoffs against one another Feb. 25.
“It’s a good win for us. I mean, anytime you win a league title is special,” Rice coach Lou Schmidt Jr. said after the game. “And to do it, playing here, makes it even better.”
The game was back in forth all night.
Rice struck first when Russell Cicerone scored 9:04 into the first period.
The Warriors went up 3-0 after Ross Haffey and Conner Jean scored in the second.
But St. Mary’s responded with three of its own.
Dieon Mueller made it 3-1 with 4:56 remaining in the second period, and then Michael Muller and Cooper Marody scored roughly eight minutes apart in the third to even the game and eventually force overtime.
Had Gillespie not scored, and the eight-minute extra session ended in a tie, the teams would have been awarded co-champions.
Check back on our Sports page next week for more on the Catholic League final, and a preview of Rice and St. Mary’s playoff opener.
In the D-2 Catholic League final, Riverview Gabriel Richard earned its third league title in the past four years, skating past Royal Oak Shrine 6-1.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start