Wayne County, Macomb County, Oakland CountyMarch 7, 2012
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Several local girls basketball teams were in action March 6 in various regional semifinals.
Winning and advancing to the regional finals round are Rochester Hills Stoney Creek, Grosse Pointe South, Clinton Township Chippewa Valley, Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day, Harper Woods Chandler Park Academy and Grosse Pointe University Liggett.
Here are the results from each regional semifinal with local ties, as well as the upcoming regional final matchups — which are at 7 p.m. March 8 unless otherwise noted.
At Lake Orion
Stoney Creek (15-6) topped Birmingham Marian (9-12) 59-46 and will play Waterford Kettering (22-2) in the final. Kettering beat Southfield Lathrup (13-10) 47-44 in overtime.
At Utica Ford II
Grosse Pointe South (20-3) stopped Romeo High (19-4) 56-45 and will meet Chippewa Valley (16-8) after it edged Macomb L’Anse Creuse North (15-8) 45-43.
West Bloomfield (10-13) fell 50-44 to Ann Arbor Huron (19-5).
At Warren Cousino
The host Patriots (19-4) lost 49-43 to Detroit Martin Luther King (21-3).
At Pontiac Notre Dame
Country Day (21-0) dropped Capac (18-6) 59-25 and will meet Chandler Park (18-0) after it dispatched Marysville (18-5) 43-27.
Ferndale High (12-12) fell to Dearborn Divine Child (220-2) 73-45.
At Oakland Christian
University Liggett (20-4) defeated Flint Hamady (21-2) 51-33 and will play Detroit Consortium (12-5) in the final. Consortium knocked out Madison Heights Bishop Foley (18-6) 65-55 in overtime.
At Waterford Our Lady
Sterling Heights Parkway Christian (12-10) lost 45-24 to Lutheran Westland (10-6), and Birmingham Roeper (19-4) fell 53-18 against Waterford Our Lady (10-13).
Check out the rest of our website for detailed recaps and photo galleries from select regional action, as well as coverage from the district round.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start