Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Woods
Published October 16, 2013
North, South tennis qualify for state finals
By Thomas Franz firstname.lastname@example.org
GROSSE POINTE — MHSAA Tennis regionals were held last Thursday and Friday throughout Michigan, and Grosse Pointe North, Grosse Pointe South and University all qualified for their respective state finals. North and South each took home second-place finishes, while the Knights won their regional.
At the Division 1 regional held at Elworthy Park on Thursday, South finished with 24 points, four behind Troy High, but its second-place finish qualifies it for the state finals.
The MHSAA Division 1 state final will be held at Midland Tennis Center starting on Oct. 18.
South’s Victor Flynn and Will Norris won the No.1 doubles flight with a 6-2, 7-5 victory in the final against Troy. Patrick Willard won at No. 3 singles 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5.
The Norsemen advanced to the finals in every flight in their Division 2 regional on Friday, but they met a tough challenge in U-D Jesuit in every final. Connor Olzem and Nick Cusmano were the lone champions for North, as they took the No. 1 doubles final 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
U-D Jesuit took the team title with 23 points, and North qualified for the state finals with a second-place finish with 17 points.
The Division 2 state finals will be held at Hope College starting on Oct. 18.
University Liggett turned in a dominant performance at its Division 4 regional meet to advance to the state finals.
Liggett won seven out of eight flights to claim a regional title. Antoni Dulac, Steven Kneiser and Jeffery Shell won at No. 1, 3, and 4 singles, respectively.
James Jurcak and Neil Sekhon (No. 1 doubles), Alan Jurcak and August Bonacci (No. 2 doubles), Jack Ninivaggi and Alex Dow (No. 3 doubles), and Jackson Benning and Davey Sekhon (No. 4 doubles) swept the doubles flights for Liggett.
The Division 4 state finals will be held at Grand Blanc High School and Holly High School beginning on Oct. 18.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams