WarrenMarch 16, 2012
Mott boys basketball team battles to end of districts
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
WARREN — Warren Mott’s boys basketball team’s season came to an end March 9, as the Marauders fell 73-55 to Warren De La Salle in Class A action at Warren Woods Tower.
“We had our game plan down; then, we got away from what was working,” Mott coach Jeff Graus said.
Anthony Brooks led the Marauders with 24 points, as they fell to the Pilots in districts for the fourth year in a row.
Visit our website at www.can dgnews.com for more coverage and photos from the state tournament.
Graus said he was especially proud of his senior class.
“I’m very proud of the seniors. They’ve come a long way,” the coach said. “We’ve dealt with a lot this year. I’m very, very proud of those seniors.”
Along with Brooks, six other seniors will depart from the Mott squad — Victor Sharpe, Tommie Bell, John Parks, Jason Teno, Jordin Brown and Ryan Mazur-Baker.
“I think the seniors have passed a lot on to these guys,” Graus said. “We’re not hurting in the basketball player department right now. Our JV was 19-1.
“We have a lot coming back, so I’m very optimistic about the future,” the coach continued. “This class coming up is very good. I think the guys that are leaving put the program in good hands. They were good leaders. They worked hard, and that’s all we could ask.”
Mott finishes the year 13-9 overall. The Marauders also finished tied for fourth in the Macomb Area Conference Blue Division, a league that sent an impressive five teams to the district-final round: Madison Heights Madison, Warren Fitzgerald, Fraser High and Utica Stevenson.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start