Macomb TownshipJanuary 30, 2013
Lutheran North basketball hopes to contend for league title
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
Macomb Lutheran North boys basketball coach Gary Gutenkunst believes it has been five years since the program last won a league title, and he is hoping to change that.
If the Mustangs are to change it this season, they will have to do so with just one returning starter, senior Zach Roose.
Despite the heavy roster turnover, Gutenkunst is hoping that the Mustangs can make a competitive run for a Catholic High School League title.
“We’re trying to win our division in the Catholic League,” he said after the team’s second league game. “I think that’s within reach. Our juniors are getting better, and our sophomores.”
Gutenkunst thinks his players also have ambitions of reaching for the top of the league.
“They’re (a) very competitive group of guys,” he said. “That’s one of their main goals for the year. “
Regardless of how this season plays out, Gutenkunst is hoping there are some good days ahead for the basketball program. The Mustangs have eight juniors and two sophomores on the roster, and he is optimistic about what may lie ahead.
“We have a number of them that are really playing well,” he said. “Andrew Bielecki is our point guard. He’s a sophomore. We have Travis McConnell. Trevor Mason is doing well for us, too. He’s an undersized big guy (6-foot-1).”
At press time, North was 5-7 overall, 2-4 Catholic High School League East.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team - Mount Clemens
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley