Macomb TownshipFebruary 5, 2013
Local swimmers shine at Macomb County Championships
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
MACOMB TOWNSHIP — The Warren De La Salle boys swim team proved it’s the best in the area by taking the team title at the 2013 Macomb County Swimming and Diving Championships.
The win gives De La Salle its first county title.
Events took place Feb. 1-2 at Macomb L’Anse Creuse North High School.
“I told them to act like they’ve been there before,” said Pilots coach Jim Singelyn, a De La Salle alum in his fourth year with the program, when asked what he told his team after results had been tallied.
“I told them to be professional and enjoy it, but we’ve still got a lot more to do. The season isn’t over in February. It’s done in March.”
Singelyn was speaking of the Michigan High School Athletic Association state swimming finals, slated for March 8-9 in Holland (Division 1), at Oakland University (D-2) and at Eastern Michigan University (D-3).
The Pilots as a team recorded 310 points, topping Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse, which tallied 238. Macomb Dakota (238), Anchor Bay (187) and Utica Eisenhower (186) round out the top five.
Twenty-one local teams competed in the finals. Clinton Township Chippewa Valley, which captured the 2012 team title, finished eighth with 147 points.
De La Salle swimmer Anton Rapp, a senior, won the 200-yard freestyle title with a time of 1minute, 50.16 seconds, beating out Fraser High’s Hunter Greene by barely one second.
The Pilots’ 200 medley relay team of freshman P.J. Desmet, and seniors Rapp, Jonathan Wolak and Patrick Guyon scored 40 points in winning the relay. The De La Salle quartet, with a time of 1:41.61, beat second-place Ike by nearly five seconds.
In other races, Chippewa Valley junior Ben Pitlock (2:01.46) took first place in the 200 individual medley.
Romeo High senior Danny Abbott won the 50 freestyle with a time of 21.92 seconds. Abbott also placed first in the 100 freestyle with a time of 47.56 seconds to set a meet record and was named Senior Swimmer of the Meet.
Warren Cousino senior Jacob Johnson placed first in the 1-meter diving finals, recording a score of 377.50 points.
L’Anse Creuse senior Logan Jordan (54.22 seconds) won the 100 butterfly race.
Ike junior Mike Hudson won the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:54.44. Hudson also won the 100 backstroke with a time of 56.83 seconds.
L’Anse Creuse (junior Chad Pierce, and seniors Jordan, Nick Valice and Nick Brown) won the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:32.22. That group also won the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:22.32. Valice also took first place in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:02.15.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start