Auburn Hills, Battle Creek, Berkley, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Birmingham, Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Center Line, Chesterfield Township, Clarkston, Clawson, Clinton Township, Commerce Township, Dearborn, Detroit, Eastpointe, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Ferndale, Franklin, Fraser, Grosse Pointe City, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointes, Harper Woods, Harrison Township, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods, Keego Harbor, Lake Orion, Lansing, Lathrup Village, Livonia, Macomb County, Macomb Township, Madison Heights, Metro Detroit, Mount Clemens, New Baltimore, New Haven, Northeast Detroit, Novi, Oak Park, Oakland County, Oakland Township, Orchard Lake, Pleasant Ridge, Pontiac, Ray Township, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Romeo, Roseville, Royal Oak, Royal Oak Township, Shelby Township, Southfield, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights, Sylvan Lake, Troy, Utica, Walled Lake, Warren, Washington Township, Wayne County, West Bloomfield
Local swim squads have strong showings in state finals
Posted March 13, 2013
The boys swimming season came to a close March 9 at sites across the state, and plenty of local teams and individuals made strong showings in the final races of the year.
Here’s a look where teams from the C & G Newspapers coverage area finished and the swimmers who earned All-State, which is for athletes placing eighth or better.
Division 1 in Holland
Saline High won the team championship with 313 points. Birmingham Brother Rice was second with 309.
Other local team placers were Lake Orion High (87 points, 10th place); West Bloomfield High (61 points, 12th); Rochester High (50 points, 13th); Troy High (37 points, 16th); Walled Lake Central (33 points, 18th); and Warren Cousino (3 points, 31st).
In the 200-yard medley relay, Brother Rice came in third with a time of 1:34.51.
Following are the individual and relay All-State performances in D-1:
• 200 freestyle — Brother Rice’s Joe Krause took second (1:39.84); Lake Orion’s Zach Diener was third (1:40.26); Rochester’s Jacob Carl placed fifth (1:42.44); and Brother Rice’s Drake Michalzuk was eighth (1:43.71).
• 200 individual medley — Troy’s Zachary Chen finished sixth (1:55.95).
• 50 freestyle — Brother Rice’s Patrick Nodland was third (21.28).
• 100 butterfly — Rice’s Gust Kouvaris finished second (50.62), and teammates Mark Blinstrub and Nikolaus Lehnertz placed fourth (51.38) and sixth (51.92), respectively; Troy’s Troy Chen was seventh (52.29) in the event.
• 100 freestyle — Rice’s Krause was third (45.95); and West Bloomfield’s Andrew Jacob was eighth (47.77).
• 500 freestyle — Rochester’s Jacob Carl placed second (4:35.69); and teammate Brien Moffitt was sixth (4:40.94). Rice’s Drake Michalzuk was fourth (4:39.28), and teammate Quin McFarlen was seventh (4:41.08).
• 200 freestyle relay — Brother Rice finished second (1:24.32); and West Bloomfield was sixth (1:27.42).
• 100 backstroke — Kouvaris was fifth (51.19), and Brother Rice teammate, Blinstrub, was sixth (51.63).
• 100 breaststroke — Walled Lake Central’s Stephen Lee placed fourth (57.99); Lake Orion’s Devon Nowicki was fifth (58.09); and Brother Rice’s Drew Grady finished eighth (1:00.47).
• 400 freestyle relay — Brother Rice’s team won the event (3:03.78).
Division 2 at Oakland University
Holland High won the championship with 323 points.
Birmingham Seaholm was the top local finisher, coming in third (223.5).
“(I’m) very, very proud. In order to come home with a trophy, you’ve got to swim well at prelims. We swam really well at prelims. (We) had a lot of personal bests and put ourselves in position today,” Seaholm coach Tom Wylie said.
“We actually set a varsity record in the 4x400 free relay, which has been around since 1999, so it was very exciting to see these guys — with a couple of seniors on the relay, being their last-ever swim — just go after it and swim faster than they’ve ever swam before. It took us 14 years to break that record, so they may have their names on our record board for several years to come.”
Birmingham Groves’ team finished ninth (107 points); North Farmington was 11th (90); Grosse Pointe South finished 13th (64); Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse was 16th (40); Auburn Hills Avondale was 21st (10); Warren De La Salle placed 24th (8); Berkley High was 27th (6.5); Walled Lake Northern was 29th (3); and Walled Lake Western finished 30th (2).
Following are the individual and relay All-State performances in D-2:
• 200 medley relay — Seaholm took third (1:36.49); Groves was fourth (1:37.35); and Grosse Pointe South was sixth (1:38.44).
• 200 freestyle — Seaholm’s Enrique Hernandez finished sixth (1:43.44).
• 200 individual medley — North Farmington’s Nick Leshok placed third (1:53); Seaholm’s Jack Russell (1:55.18) and Even Burke (1:55.51) were fifth and sixth, respectively; and Groves’ Clark Lindsay placed eighth (1:56.25).
• 50 freestyle — Seaholm’s Nathan Anderson tied for fourth (21.61), and teammate Connor Saeli was eighth (21.77). Groves’ Tom Power placed seventh (21.69).
• 100 butterfly — North Farmington’s Nick Leshok took fifth (51.68).
• 100 freestyle — Hernandez was eighth (47.76).
• 200 freestyle relay — Seaholm placed second (1:25.99); and North Farmington was sixth (1:26.51).
• 100 backstroke — Power was second (51.16); and Grosse Pointe South’s Patrick Jackson was seventh (53.78).
• 100 breaststroke — Russell took second (57.52); Groves’ Clark Lindsay was third (57.63); and L’Anse Creuse’s Chad Pierce finished sixth (59.98).
• 400 free relay — Seaholm placed fifth (3:09.60); and North Farmington was seventh (3:11.46).
Division 3 at Eastern Michigan University
East Grand Rapids won the state championship with 278 points. Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood was just behind with 274.
Beverly Hills Country Day finished third with 217 and Bloomfield Hills Lahser was fourth with 194. Grosse Pointe University Liggett finished 24th with 19.
Following are the individual and relay All-State performances in D-3:
• 200 medley relay — Lahser finished second (1:35.80); Cranbrook was third (1:36.41); and Country Day was fourth (1:37.61).
• 200 freestyle — Cranbrook’s Alessandro Guttilla was fifth (1:46.18), and teammate Ben Schneider was sixth (1:46.53); and Lahser’s William Tener was seventh (1:47.19).
• 200 individual medley — Cranbrook’s Matthew Liu placed second (1:54.97), and teammate Mitch Buccalo was fourth (1:56.49). Country Day’s Alexander Goggins was fifth (1:57.98), and teammate Brendan Gatward was seventh (2:00.10). Lahser’s Joe Finn placed eighth (2:00.73).
• 50 frestyle — Country Day’s Michael Nadolski was second (21.52); Lahser’s John Schihl was third (21.57); and Country Day’s Cal Coffman and Billy Packer placed fourth (21.76) and fifth (21.86), respectively.
• 100 butterfly — Cranbrook’s Matthew Liu won the state title (51.60), and teammate Sun Chantadansuwan was seventh (54.08).
• 500 freestyle — Cranbrook had three All-State placers. Danny Misra finished fourth (4:47.45); Ben Schneider was seventh (4:50.08); and Guttilla was eighth (4:53.84).
• 200 freestyle relay — Country Day won the event in 1:26.61; and Lahser finished fourth (1:28.55).
• 100 backstroke — Cranbrook’s Mitch Buccalo was third (53.23); Gatward was fourth (53.24); and Cranbrook’s Frankie Misra was seventh (54.73).
• 100 breaststroke — Schihl finished second (56.58); Goggins was fifth (59.70); and Liggett’s Chris Cornell was sixth (59.98).
• 400 freestyle relay — Cranbrook and Lahser tied for the state title, both touching the wall in 3:12.99; and Country Day was seventh (3:16.88).
About the author
Sports writer Christian Davis covers mainly the Oakland County coverage area. Christian has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2005 and attended Michigan State University before graduating from Oakland University.
More from C & G Newspapers
Rochester / Rochester Hills / Royal Oak
Macomb Township / Macomb County
Royal Oak / Berkley