West BloomfieldJune 8, 2012
Local softball teams find mixed success in district action
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
West Bloomfield High softball coach Jessica Granger saw her team play some of its best ball at the end of the season.
The Lakers fell to Birmingham Groves 8-3 June 2 at Southfield-Lathrup in a Division 1 district final, but not before making a run of their own.
“We definitely started playing better softball during the district. Unfortunately, we made a couple of errors,” Granger said after the loss. “They were physical errors, and that happens. Mental errors are ones that never make a coach happy, but physical errors, you can’t do too much about that.”
Groves’ Carli Cozenza broke the scoreless tie with a two-run double in the third inning. The Falcons would go on to score two more in the top of the third for a 4-0 lead and to take control.
West Bloomfield responded by putting a run on the board in its half of the third when Taylor Rose crossed the plate.
Groves extended its lead, scoring two more in the fourth and one in the fifth, for a 7-1 lead. The Lakers bounced back in the bottom of the sixth, getting two runs, but Groves added an insurance run in the seventh before ending the game in the bottom half with three straight outs.
In their semifinal, the Lakers beat Birmingham Seaholm 14-13 before taking on Groves.
“It was really a hitting match between both teams, and whenever they would score, we would answer back, and that’s all I could ask of them,” Granger said.
West Bloomfield beat Bloomfield Hills Marian 9-2 May 29 in its pre-district. The Lakers finished the season 12-17 overall.
“(The seniors) were a really great group, and I was fortunate to have them,” Granger said. “I’m sad to see them go, and they’re going to be very hard to replace.”
In other local softball news:
Walled Lake Northern won its D-1 district, beating Walled Lake Western 4-2 June 2 at Brighton High. Northern beat Brighton High in its semifinal 7-1.
Western made the final after beating Walled Lake Central 6-1 in its semifinal.
Regionals and quarterfinals were played after press time. Check back on our website for tournament updates.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start