Shelby Township, UticaNovember 7, 2012
Local runners excel at finals; Lutheran North’s Patterson takes D-3 title
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Several local runners and a few teams were in action Nov. 3 at the MHSAA boys and girls cross country state finals held at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn.
In the girls competition, Chippewa Valley junior Rachel Walny finished 22nd (out of 228) with a time of 18 minutes, 28.9 seconds. Utica Eisenhower freshman Brianna Mozariwskyj placed 91st (19:12.4), and Dakota senior Christina Micale finished 133rd (19:42.1).
In the boys competition, Warren De La Salle sophomore Mickey Davey took 20th (out of 251) with a time of 15:41.6. Eisenhower senior Kevin Salter was 46th (16:16.9), and L’Anse Creuse North senior Trevor Creagh finished 141st, crossing the finish line in 16:44.6.
Warren Regina’s team took ninth out of 27 girls teams. Cassie Bloch, who finished in 18th (of team-based runners), led the Saddlelites after turning in a time of 18:58.3. Rounding out Regina’s team-scoring members are junior Christina Ridella (49th, 19:42.1), junior Elizabeth Bloch (66th, 19:56.0), sophomore Stephanie Latos (67th, 19:57.5) and junior Jenny Ponkowski (77th, 20:04.6).
Macomb Lutheran North’s girls finished seventh out of 27 teams. Gina Patterson finished first overall with a time of 17:43.4. Also scoring points for North are sophomore Jenna Briney (26th, 19:24.0), sophomore Jenna Cundy (44th, 20:02.1), freshman Briana Weglarz (57th, 20:19.3) and senior Lori Schwark (147th, 22:15.2). See next week’s paper for more on Patterson’s big win at the finals.
North’s boys team finished 27th in the team standings, led by senior Zach Weglarz (106th, 17:48.9) and sophomore Jacob Miller (107th, 17:50.3).
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start