Macomb TownshipOctober 31, 2012
Local runners advance to CC state finals
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Boys and girls cross country regionals were held Oct. 26-27, and a couple of local runners qualified for the Nov. 3 state finals at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn.
Local qualifiers include L’Anse Creuse North junior Trevor Creagh and Dakota senior Christina Micale from the Oct. 27 Division 1 regional at Goodells County Park, and Lutheran North’s boys and girls teams both qualified from the Division 3 regional at Willow Metropark in New Boston.
In Division 1, Creagh finished in 11th of the boys competition with a time of 16 minutes, 10 seconds; Micale (19:12) was 13th among girls.
In D-3, Lutheran North’s girls won the regional title, as all seven of the varsity runners finished in the top 21 and four were in the top eight. Leading the way for the Mustangs was the overall individual top finisher, sophomore Gina Patterson (18:21.11). The squad’s next three finishers were sophomore Jenna Briney (third, 19:35.98), sophomore Jenna Cundy (fifth, 20:27.01) and freshman Briana Weglarz (eighth, 20:29.84).
On the boys side, senior Zach Weglarz (seventh, 17:39.41) led the Mauraders, followed by sophomore Jacob Miller (ninth, 17:42.62) and senior Aaron Eisenhardt (15th, 18:18.81).
Runners had to place among the top 15 individually and teams had to be in the top three to advance to the state finals.
For complete regional results and state qualifier information, visit www.mhsaa.com.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start