Shelby Township, UticaOctober 16, 2012
Local golf, tennis teams fare well at regionals, states are next
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Regional competitions for girls golf and boys tennis were held last week. Local squads competed for a chance to head to the upcoming state finals, held Oct. 19-20 at various locations.
Here are some regional golf highlights from local teams and a schedule of what’s next. For more details, visit www.mhsaa.com. For photos from golf and tennis regionals and more postseason coverage, visit our website at www.candgnews.com.
In golf, the top three teams in each regional tournament advance, as do the top three individuals on non-qualifying teams.
Utica High and Macomb Lutheran North won their respective regional competitions.
The Chieftains took first place at Dearborn Country Club Oct. 12, finishing with a team score of 331. Taylor Clark led the way, medaling with a score of 74. Rounding out the Chieftains’ effort was Julia Montgomery (79), Killian Casson (82), Samantha Merandi (96) and Courtney Clark (101).
Utica Stevenson’s Alison DeSantis (88) qualified as an individual from the Dearborn regional.
Lutheran North won its regional with a team score of 376 Oct. 10 at Stony Creek Golf Course. The Mustangs were led by Samantha Banaszak (88), Miranda Weatherly (93), Rachael Booth (96), Kelly Murdock (99) and Katie Humphreys (103).
The Division 1 state final is at Forest Akers East on the campus of Michigan State University. The Division 4 final is at MSU’s Forest Akers West. The tourney start at 10 a.m. both days.
Utica Eisenhower’s boys tennis team finished second in its Division 1 regional, hosted by Romeo High. Port Huron Northern won the regional, while Romeo also advanced to states.
In tennis, teams had to finish in first or second, or finish third and earn 18 points at the regional. Individuals from non-qualifying teams can advance if they made the final in the No. 1 singles flight.
The Division 1 state finals are at the Midland Community Tennis Center.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team - Mount Clemens
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley