Published October 23, 2013
Local golf squads compete for state titles
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
The top girls golfers came together for a shot at state championships Oct. 18-19 at various courses across the state.
Here’s a look at how all the teams finished and the local golfers who earned a top 10 finish.
Each team sent out five golfers — the top four scores counted towards the squad in the 36-hole event.
See next week’s edition or visit www.candgnews.com for a deeper look at all the individual state champions.
Division 1 at Forest Akers West
Plymouth High edged the competition for its championship, finishing with 706. Rochester Hills Stoney Creek came in second with 710, and Troy High was third with 711.
The rest of the field was Grosse Pointe South, 726; Ann Arbor Pioneer, 728; East Kentwood, 729; North Farmington-Harrison, 731; Saline High, 732; Novi High, 746; Lake Orion High, 752; Holt High, 759; Brighton High, 762; Davison High, 772; Dearborn High, 787; and Rockford High, 799.
Individually, South’s Lily Pendy won the championship, shooting (74, 76) 150: six shots better than the second-place finisher.
South also owned the fourth-place slot, with Tenley Shield finishing with (78, 81) 159.
Troy Athens’ Jennifer Yang finished tied or six, firing (77, 84) 161.
Division 2 at Forest Akers East
Birmingham Seaholm returned to the top of the division, shooting 663 for its first state title since 2008.
Okemos High was second with 664, and Midland Down placed third with 695.
South Lyon High, 702; Fenton High, 737; St. Joseph High, 743; Auburn Hills Avondale, 747; East Lansing High, 754; Dexter High, 765; Traverse City Central, 771; Grand Rapids Forest Hills Central, 774; Mt Pleasant High, 801; Greenville High, 803; Mona Shores High, 804; and Pinckney High, 872, were also in the field.
Okemos’ Elle Nichols took the individual crown, shooting (76, 79) 155.
Seaholm’s Megan Lam was second with (80, 78) 158. Her teammate, Jamie Greene, finished eighth, carding (86, 81) 167.
Division 3 at The Meadows
Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day won the state title, beating Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood on a tiebreaker, which was the score over 36 holes of the team’s fifth golfer.
Both squads finished with 707.
Spring Lake High was next closest with 719. Lake Odessa Lakewood, 733; Grand Rapids South Christian, 740; Grand Rapids Christian, 761; Jackson Northwest, 770; Ada Forest Hills Easter, 771; Warren Regina, 792; Coldwater High, 813; Coopersville, 815; Marshall High, 821; DeWitt High, 837; Marysville High, 846; and Haslett High, 873, rounded out the field.
Individually, Cranbrook owned the two top spots, with Cordelia Chan winning the title after carding (78, 79) 157. Greer Clausen was second with (83, 77) 160.
Country Day’s Ellie Miller finished third with (82, 80) 162.
Division 4 at Bedford Valley
Grosse Ile topped the field, coming in with a 716. Grand Rapids North Pointe Christian was second with 718, and Flint Power Catholic claimed third with 722.
Lansing Catholic, 731; Kalamazoo Hackett, 760; Harbor Springs, 765; Maple City Glen Lake, 770; Macomb Lutheran North, 776; Freeland High, 780; Grand Rapids West Catholic, 780; Grayling High, 785; Hillsdale Academy, 807; Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard, 815; Grass Lake, 838; and Hanover-Horton, 866, made up the rest of the field.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals