Macomb TownshipOctober 18, 2012
Local football teams prepare for postseason
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
FRASER — The coach walked up to his team after the game as it huddled near midfield and shouted, “We are in the playoffs!”
The team responded, all yelling, “Yeah!”
Macomb L’Anse Creuse North is back in the state football playoffs for the first time since 2007 and just the second time in program history after edging Fraser High 18-17 Oct. 12 on the road.
The win was LCN’s sixth of the season, automatically qualifying it for the postseason, which begins in two weeks.
“That’s the biggest thing we preached — playoffs,” LCN coach Anthony Kiner said. “It’s pretty special ground we’re on.”
The Crusaders and Ramblers traded scores in the first half, followed by a scoreless second half in the Macomb Area Conference Blue Division finale for the squads.
“That’s high school football. Any given Friday, someone can come and beat you,” Kiner said. “They’re a heck of a ball team, and I look forward to playing them in the future.
“A win’s a win. It doesn’t matter if you win ugly or you win pretty,” he said.
LCN improved to 6-2 overall and finishes 4-1 in the MAC Blue. The Crusaders’ regular-season finale is at 7 p.m. Oct. 19 at home against Marysville High.
Kiner said the matchup with the Vikings would be a “pretty good test.”
“We have a lot to play for,” the coach added, referring to playoff seeding and possible home-field advantage.
The playoffs begin the following week.
“We expected to be in the playoffs,” Kiner said. “We’re not done yet.”
Visit our website at www.can dgnews.com/Sports for more details from LCN’s win at Fraser.
Local football roundup
While LCN is in, Chippewa Valley needs to defeat Port Huron at 7 p.m. Oct. 19 at home to ensure a spot in the playoffs. The Big Reds fell to 5-3 after a 17-13 loss to Macomb Dakota Oct. 12. The Cougars, meanwhile, continued to increase their postseason résumé, improving to 7-1 overall, winning the MAC Red title outright. Dakota finishes the season hosting Roseville High at 7 p.m. Oct. 19.
Elsewhere in MAC Red action, Utica Eisenhower defeated Utica Stevenson for its sixth win to qualify for the playoffs. Ike plays at Cousino at 7 p.m. Oct. 19 in its regular-season finale.
Macomb Lutheran North will also be looking for its sixth win in the final game of the regular season. The Mustangs fell 23-17 in overtime Oct. 13 at Dearborn Divine Child to fall to 5-3 on the year. Lutheran North plays at Richmond High at 7 p.m. Oct. 19.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Mercy powers past Ladywood to claim first Catholic League crown since 2003 - Farmington Hills
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start