Grosse PointesJune 15, 2012
Liggett rolls into state final
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BATTLE CREEK — Playing the earliest game of the 2012 state semifinals certainly didn’t bother the Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett baseball team.
Not much has this year, though.
The Knights, back in Battle Creek for the second straight season, opened play in the Division 4 semifinals with a commanding 15-3 victory against Rudyard High in a game that started at 10 a.m. and was called after five innings.
“Our guys really battled,” Knights coach Dan Cimini said. “We took advantage of some of their mistakes, but I like how we played.”
Liggett (25-3) got things rolling right away, scoring twice in the first inning on a two-RBI double by junior Connor Fannon.
The Knights added two more in the second inning, but blew the game wide open with 10 runs on five hits in the third. The offensive outburst was assisted by three Rudyard errors in the frame.
Junior Mark Evan Auk got things going with a two-run single in the frame.
Senior Alex Daar added an RBI single of his own and later scored on a wild pitch.
But the big blast came courtesy of junior Kevin Allen, who slammed a three-run home run to deep right field.
Liggett added its final run in the bottom of the fourth.
Rudyard (20-17) scored once in the fourth and twice in the fifth, but Fannon, who earned the win on the mound, otherwise limited any Bulldogs chances.
“The experience of being here last year was huge,” Cimini added. “We went through the exact same routine as last time, ate at the same place and so on. The guys were way more relaxed.”
Liggett moves on the D-4 final with a chance to defend its 2011 title.
The Knights face Decatur High (35-6) in a 9:30 a.m. June 16 game at C.O. Brown Stadium.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals