Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe FarmsNovember 8, 2012
Liggett and South volleyball teams win district titles; North wraps up season
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
The volleyball postseason is under way, and at press time, University Liggett and South were still alive.
Liggett captured its second consecutive district championship after knocking off Harper Woods 3-0 in a Class C district final match Nov. 2, which was hosted by Liggett.
Two of coach Joe LaMagno’s goals for the season were to win an outright Michigan Independent Athletic Conference White Division championship and a district title. The Knights have done both, and LaMagno has his ideas as to how his team was able to turn those goals into realities.
“We took on a harder schedule than we did last season,” he said. “We played in tougher tournaments, (and) we played tougher teams to get ready for the state tournament. … They work hard, they listen, and they compete. That’s all I can ask them to do.”
Prior to beating Harper Woods, Liggett received a bye in the opening round of the district tournament before moving on to defeat Warren Michigan Collegiate 3-0 in the semifinal round.
The Knights took on Auburn Hills Oakland Christian in a regional semifinal contest Nov. 6, after press time. The winner of that match moves on to face Brown City or Burton Bendle in a regional final at 6 p.m. Nov. 8 at Memphis.
In other local volleyball district tournament news:
Grosse Pointe South also earned a trip to regionals after beating St. Clair Shores Lakeview 3-0 Nov. 2 in a Class A district final at East Detroit.
South defeated Detroit Southeastern 3-0 in the opening-round match, and followed that with a 3-2 victory over rival Grosse Pointe North in a semifinal.
South played Sterling Heights in a regional semifinal Nov. 6, after press time. The winner plays Macomb Dakota or Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse in a regional final at 6 p.m. Nov. 8 at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start