Farmington High throws its way past Southfield-Lathrup

By: Christian Davis | C&G Newspapers | Published September 16, 2011

 Southfield-Lathrup coach Stephon Thompson speaks to his team during a game earlier this season.

Southfield-Lathrup coach Stephon Thompson speaks to his team during a game earlier this season.

Photo by Donna Agusti

On the arm of Farmington High senior quarterback Chris Morgan, the Falcons cruised to a victory against Southfield-Lathrup Sept. 16 at Lathrup.

Farmington won 37-20 with Morgan leading the way with three touchdown passes.

“He’s been real good for us all season,” Farmington coach John Bechtel said. “He didn’t miss many passes today and the line protected him.”

Lathrup took the early lead when senior Billy Moore broke a 50-yard run for a score with 9:38 left in the first to make it 7-0.

Farmington wasted little time getting back into it as junior Jordan Degreffenreed returned the ensuing kickoff 80 yards to tie it.

Later in the frame, Morgan had his first touchdown pass, finding senior Bryan Green on an 18-yard bubble screen to put Farmington up 14-7.

In the second quarter, Morgan again connected, this time with senior Joshua Curtis for a 35-yard touchdown with a little more than eight minutes in the half to make it 21-7, which is how the half ended.

In the third, Degreffenreed again found paydirt, this time plunging in from 3-yards out with 5:18 remaining in the quarter to make it 28-7.

Lathrup would battle back as senior Jamal Lyles ran it in from 2-yards out with 1:45 left in the third, and then returned a fumble 40 seconds later 45 yards for another touchdown.

A missed extra point made it 28-20, with Farmington clinging to the lead.

Morgan and the Falcons went back to work in the fourth as the quarterback found Curtis for the second time, this time for 22 yards and a score with 10:08 remaining in the game.

Lathrup would fumble the ball out of their own end zone for a safety late in the game to make it 37-20.

Lathrup coach Stephon Thompson said penalties, specifically holding calls, hurt his squad. The Chargers had a 56-yard touchdown run called back in the second due to a penalty.

“Give Farmington credit, they’re a good team,” he said.

Lyles said the Chargers defense was unable to get into a rhythm.

“Farmington was balanced with their passing and running the ball,” he said.

Lathrup goes to 0-4 overall and looks to get back on track against Farmington Hills Harrison at 4:30 p.m. Sept. 23 at home.

Farmington High moves to 3-1 and takes on Oak Park High at 7 p.m. Sept. 23 at home.