Clawson, Madison HeightsSeptember 13, 2012
Lamphere volleyball defeats Clawson in MAC Silver opener
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
MADISON HEIGHTS — Defending Macomb Area Conference Silver Division champion Lamphere began its title defense in convincing fashion, defeating Clawson 3-0 to open up league play.
The Rams (1-0 MAC Silver) never faced any real danger, opening up a double-digit lead in each of the sets, en route to victories of 25-14, 25-12 and 25-13.
Clawson (0-1 MAC Silver) was able to put together some sporadic rallies, but falling behind in each set proved to be too much for the Trojans to overcome.
The serving attacks of Lamphere helped to keep Clawson at bay for a good portion of the match. Michaela Louis had 13 service points and six aces, and Lamphere coach Jamie Uhlmann believes contributions like that helped make the difference in the victory.
"Tonight, we served," she said. "That's been our nemesis for a while. Tonight, we had much better serving and defensive play, so that really helped. Our libero (Christine Ello) is a top-notch player, and she really did a nice job. First league match of the year, and we practiced for it. I told the girls I would like to go three-and-out, and that's what they did."
Lamphere hitter Sara Ormsby was pleased with the Rams' league-opening performance.
"I think it was definitely a key point to start the season off strong, so we can get stronger throughtout the season," she said. "I don't want to start it off weak and get stronger. I want to start it off strong, stay strong and get stronger."
Ormsby contributed five kills and three solo blocks for Lamphere, while Erin Denmark also added five kills for the Rams.
Lamphere is next scheduled to be in action at 6 p.m. Sept. 18 in a road game against Center Line.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start