Madison HeightsFebruary 20, 2013
Lamphere cheer team wins league championship
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
The competitive cheer team from Madison Heights Lamphere captured a Macomb Area Conference Blue Division championship after winning a divisional meet hosted by the Rams Feb. 6.
According to coach Amanda McCarty, it is the first division title the program has won since 2007.
Lamphere entered the meet tied with St. Clair for first place, and McCarty was pleased to see her team complete the task at hand.
“It was a big goal,” she said. “We were really excited. When it got announced, there were cheers. They were all jumping up and down, and very excited, especially my seniors (Alyssa Clack, Ashley Elliott, Kaitlin Murdock and Katherine Walsh).”
According to McCarty, most of her team practices nine months out of the year. Cheer team member Remi Monaghan was happy to have all the work that goes into a season pay off for her team.
“It was the best feeling in the world,” she said. “All the training, all the long practices at the gym, going in and putting in all the hard work. Just knowing that we finally did it, and our goal was accomplished. There’s no other feeling like it.”
Lamphere was scheduled to participate in a district tournament Feb. 15, after press time.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start