Macomb CountyJanuary 25, 2013
A sneak peak at the top MAC hoops matchups for Jan. 25
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
The St. Clair Shores Lake Shore boys basketball team will look to avenge a 23-point loss it suffered Dec. 19 at the hands of St. Clair Shores Lakeview when the city rivals meet in a rematch slated for 7 p.m. Jan. 25 at Lakeview.
The Shorians (4-7, 2-4 Macomb Area Conference Silver Division) will look to right the ship when they battle the Huskies, 8-2, 4-2 MAC Silver. Lakeview bested Lake Shore 66-43 Dec. 19 at South Lake, giving the Huskies a fifth straight win to start the season. The loss to Lakeview halted a two-game win streak for the Shorians.
Lake Shore, which averages 48.5 points per game and allows 57.9, is looking to build a winning streak after a 63-54 win over Center Line Jan. 22. The Huskies (57.8-39.0) are looking to stop a two-game slide. The 39.0 points-per-game allowed is tops in the 36-team MAC.
Madison looks to give Fitzgerald first loss in MAC Blue
Warren Fitzgerald travels to Madison Heights Madison looking to keep its unblemished MAC Blue record in tact.
The Spartans (8-1, 4-0 MAC Blue) and Eagles (4-5, 3-2 Blue) meet at 7 p.m. Jan. 25.
Fitz goes into the battle outscoring opponents by 17.7 points a night (68.3-50.6). The Spartans' 68.3 points per contest is good for third in the conference. Fitz's one loss — Jan. 8 at New Haven — came by four points. Madison comes into the game looking to build some consistency.
The Eagles have won two of three, but have one winning streak this season: a two-game streak in mid-December (wins over Anchor Bay and Clawson).
Dakota girls face off with Ford II in key MAC Red battle
The best offense in the entire MAC will try to solve the fourth-best defense in the conference when Macomb Dakota travels to Utica Ford II in a matchup slated for 5:30 p.m. Jan. 25 at Ford II.
The Cougars and Falcons enter the big MAC Red showdown with a lot in common. Both teams are 11-1, 4-1 MAC Red. Defending state runner-up Grosse Pointe South is also the only team to beat Dakota and Ford II.
The Cougars are riding a four-game win streak since Jan. 8 two-point setback at GPS, while the Falcons are looking to bounce back from a Jan. 22, 22-point loss at the hands of South.
Dakota goes into the battle averaging a MAC best 57.7 points per game. Ford II's defense (35.0 points allowed) sits at fourth in the conference.
Both teams have had several big wins this season. All but one of the Cougars' wins has been by double digits, while the Falcons have six wins by more than 24 points.
For a complete listing of the Jan. 25 MAC boys and girls matchups, check http://macombmac.misd.net/.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start