WarrenJune 15, 2012
Incredible season for De La Salle included trip to state final
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BATTLE CREEK — Gloves went skyward.
Students and fans in attendance charged the field in celebration.
Teary-eyed parents grabbed cameras to catch every lasting moment.
And this wasn’t even a championship game.
What it was, however, was a magical ride with at least one trick left.
The Warren De La Salle baseball team, 2-14 at one time this season, beat Howell High 3-2 in a Division 1 semifinal in Battle Creek June 15.
The D-1 final was played after press time.
Check out next week’s paper for a complete wrap up of the June 16 final.
“We’re having a blast right now,” said coach Matt Cook following the semifinal win, which improved his squad to 20-22-1. “We’re not supposed to be here, but here we are. We’re loose. We’re relaxed. We’re having an awesome time.”
Kevin Carroll pitched one of the best games of the season in the semifinal, going all seven innings while striking out six Howell (30-11) hitters.
Leading 2-1 in the top of the sixth inning, sophomore Dominic DiPuma led off the frame with a towering home run to left field.
Howell answered in the bottom of the sixth with a run of its own, but Carroll set down the Highlanders in order in the bottom of the seventh, sending the Pilots back to the final for the first time since winning it all in 2009.
“We never let being 2-14 affect us,” Cook said. “The kids bought into what we were teaching.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Mercy powers past Ladywood to claim first Catholic League crown since 2003 - Farmington Hills
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start