Shelby Township, UticaOctober 9, 2012
Ike volleyball team looks to stay top MAC Blue standings
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
At the halfway point of the Macomb Area Conference Blue Division season, Utica Eisenhower’s volleyball team was in unfamiliar territory.
For the past several years, the Eagles have routinely found themselves in the middle of the division. But things are different this season, and the team is hoping things stay that way.
“It is a goal we set early in the season, and we are going to continue to fight to protect that,” Ike coach Caitlin Maloney said about being in first place. “We also need to continue to improve as we move closer to districts and the state tournament.”
At press time, the Eagles were 6-0 in the MAC Blue, holding a one-game lead over Sterling Heights High (5-1). Following in the standings are Warren Woods Tower (3-3), Port Huron (2-3), Warren Mott (1-3) and Utica High (0-6).
Ike is scheduled to host Sterling at 7 p.m. Oct. 18 in the second of the squads’ scheduled division meetings. The Eagles won the first match, sweeping all three games Sept. 27 at Sterling.
The squad is winning thanks to several strengths, including its versatility, along with a little luck.
“We have had the ability to come from a deficit in games and gain the lead, and keep our composure and focus quite well when we have been down by three or four points,” Maloney said. “We have a lot of options for hitters and always do well taking advantage of them.”
While many things have gone Ike’s way so far, the coach noted there’s plenty of room for improvement, including “taking the lead from the start in our games, passing and running a quicker offense.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start