Shelby Township, UticaNovember 19, 2012
Ike’s Kennelly named MVP
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Utica Eisenhower’s Meghan Kennelly was recently named the Macomb Area Conference Blue Division volleyball MVP.
The senior said she was “surprised” and “happy” to win the award, and she credited her teammates for her success.
“Winning is a team effort. Sometimes I would have a bad game, and everyone else would step up,” she said. “We’d come together and support each other.”
Kennelly plays for the Michigan Elite National club team and is hoping to continue playing volleyball at the next level. The versatile athlete played setter and outside hitter for the Eagles this past season.
“Meghan has dominated the net and has been a solid player all season,” Eisenhower coach Caitlin Maloney said. “Her power is hard to stop, and she very deserving.”
Kennelly has played volleyball since the third grade and has been around the sport her “whole life,” as her mom is a former collegiate player and coach.
Kennelly helped Eisenhower win its first league title since joining the MAC, and the program’s first district title since 2009.
Junior teammates Hailee Siefert and Emily Rizzi joined Kennelly on the MAC Blue All-Conference team. Utica High senior Mikayla Ollila also made the MAC Blue’s All-Conference team.
The other MAC division MVP’s were Macomb Dakota junior Carli Snyder (MAC Red), Utica Stevenson senior Amy Coffin (MAC White), Macomb L’Anse Creuse North senior Emily Nieman (MAC Gold), Madison Heights Lamphere senior Sarah Ormsby (MAC Silver) and New Haven High junior Charnai Perry (MAC Bronze).
Check out our website at www.candgnews.com/Sports for more volleyball features, including photo galleries and tournament coverage.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start