St. Clair ShoresDecember 5, 2012
Health, effort key to Lake Shore wrestling team’s season
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
ST. CLAIR SHORES— St. Clair Shores Lake Shore senior grappler JacQuan Moore knows this year’s group has the potential to have a special season. That’s why members of the Shorians’ wrestling team push each other every day, he said.
“We know we need to work to get better. That’s what we do every day,” Moore said. “(Coach Dominic Zombo) pushes all of us really hard, too.”
That constant effort has led to Lake Shore winning Macomb Area Conference division titles in two of the past three seasons. The Shorians are now members of the MAC Gold, having won the Blue last year and the Gold in 2010.
Lake Shore has 10 wrestlers back from a team that went 16-4, 6-1 in the MAC Blue, according to Zombo. He said he likes the way his lineup is shaping up but wishes he had more wrestlers in the lower and upper weight classes.
“We’re heavy in the middle,” said Zombo, in his 20th year with the Shorians.
Moore, in his fourth year with the varsity squad, said the lineup is solid, with a nice mix of veteran and skilled new wrestlers. He agreed with Zombo that there are holes in spots, but he said guys need to step up to fill those holes.
“We’re just going to work hard every day and take the season one match at a time,” Moore said. “I think we have the guys in place to win the league again.”
Zombo said he expects big years from several of his grapplers, including Harlin Goodall, Cruz Kapp, Stephan Orlando, Kyle Kretschmer, Mike Jones, Ryan Lopen, Alexander Placido-Curle, Curtis Elam and Moore.
The longtime Shorians coach said avoiding injuries and illness, and working hard will play a big role in how Lake Shore finishes the season. He said the team must finish hard and wrestle strong in the eight-team MAC Gold.
If healthy, Zombo said, the Shorians could send six wrestlers to individual regionals. He added the competition in the Gold should be strong, as well.
“I’m looking forward to this year, and I really think I could have a few (wrestlers) at the (Michigan High School Athletic Association state finals),” Zombo said. “We just need to stay healthy and work hard.”
Lake Shore next hits the mat for a tri meet with St. Clair Shores Lakeview and Macomb Lutheran North. The meet gets under way at 5 p.m. Dec. 6 at Lake Shore.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Rice baseball marches to Battle Creek, beats Lake Orion 7-3 in D-1 quarterfinal - Birmingham
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Macomb County prep basketball standouts to play in fourth annual All-Star games - Warren
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals