Published May 31, 2014
Hazel Park High soccer takes district crown
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
HAZEL PARK — Hazel Park girls soccer made history May 31 on its home field.
The Vikings won the program’s first district championship, beating Hamtramck High 5-3. The title comes after losing in the final the past two seasons.
“We knew it was our time, we just had to come together,” said Tabitha Laframboise, one of 15 seniors on the team, 10 of whom are four-year varsity members. “We won it our senior year. We’re going out with a bang.”
The Vikings beat Hamtramck 4-1 earlier in the season, but the championship was in doubt early on as Hamtramck took a 2-0 lead 10 minutes into the game.
“I thought, ‘this is not the team I know,’ But we pulled it together,” Laframboise said.
Hazel Park junior Chloe Lavender put.her team on the board with a goal, and then freshman Raena Travis took over, scoring three straight and ultimately giving the Vikings control. Senior Veronica Warren also added a score with 10:34 left to put Hamtramck away.
“That shows resilience,” Hazel Park coach Denis Dixon said. “You’re down, and you have to come back. That’s better than just being up. You have to dig deep.”
The Vikings move to 13-6 overall and play either Allen Park High or Livonia Ladywood at 4 p.m. June 3 at Chelsea High.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals