Farmington Hills, Walled LakeFebruary 27, 2013
Harrison girls basketball team rolls to district final
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
FARMINGTON HILLS — After surviving Monday night, the Hawks cruised on Wednesday.
Now, the Farmington Hills Harrison girls basketball team has the chance to celebrate Friday.
Taking on Walled Lake Northern in a Feb. 27 Class A district semifinal, Harrison wasted little time grabbing control of the game, outscoring the Knights 25-8 in the first quarter en route to a 70-33 victory.
“The girls played a complete game here tonight,” coach Tim Micklash said. His squad snuck past district host North Farmington 48-45 in the opener. “The girls were fired up. They came out ready to play, and once we got the lead, they never let up. They never led (Northern) have a chance to get back in it.”
The Hawks led 40-17 by halftime and 58-26 heading into the fourth.
“We got out to a big start, and that was huge,” Micklash added. “We’re a better team when we start strong.”
Marissa Cotton led Harrison with 19 points on the night, while Amber Stephens added 16 and Kyla Roland scored 13.
Now 21-1, the Hawks face Walled Lake Western in a 6 p.m. March 1 final at North Farmington.
Western beat White Lake Lakeland 50-45 in the other semifinal.
“We’re not going to reinvent the wheel. We just have to keep playing our game,” Micklash said about the next challenge. “We have to keep doing what’s got us to this point.”
Northern (5-16) was led by Caitlin Crowley, who scored 14, while Ashlyn Davis added 11.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start