Oakland County, Macomb CountyOctober 23, 2012
Groves soccer downs L'Anse Creuse North
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
FRASER – Birmingham Groves defeated Macomb L’Anse Creuse North 4-1 in an Oct. 23 Division 1 regional semifinal soccer game at Fraser High.
The Falcons advance to a 6 p.m. Oct. 26 regional final at Fraser against Utica Ford II.
Groves got on the board early after senior Erik Lundin scored a little less than a minute into the game off an assist by senior Sam Kepes.
“The biggest key for us was the fast start,” Groves coach Jim Stachura said. “Starting off quick like that was huge. After that, everything kind of fell into place.”
Lundin scored again with about 24 minutes remaining in the first half, this time off an assist from junior Alex Lurz, to put Groves up 2-0. The goal was Lundin’s sixth in four playoff games. He didn’t score at all during the regular season as he battled injuries.
“Now we’re starting to finish our chances, which makes us dangerous,” Stachura said.
The Falcons made it 3-0 when junior Justin Brink scored a few minutes later, off another assist from Lurz.
North got its lone goal of the game nearly midway through the second half, as senior Nick Miramonti scored to make it 3-1.
Groves answered, though, going back up by three goals when junior Iain Mason scored with 10:45 left to play.
North coach Elmir Sabanovic said it wasn’t just the first goal, but all three in the first 20 minutes of the game, that knocked the Crusaders back a bit.
“That was a morale killer to start off,” he said. “We got unlucky a couple of times, didn’t finish our opportunities.
“We played a great second half, but when you’re (down) 3-0 at halftime, it’s hard to come back from that.”
Groves improved to 12-5-8 overall, while North wraps up the season 12-6-4.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start