St. Clair ShoresNovember 6, 2012
Grosse Pointe South volleyball team moves on to regional final
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
ST. CLAIR SHORES — The Grosse Pointe South volleyball team moved one game closer to the 2012 Michigan High School Athletic Association state finals with a 3-0 (25-18, 25-20, 25-21) win over Sterling Heights High Nov. 6 in a Class A regional semifinal.
The match took place at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore High. The Blue Devils (35-11-2) advance to face Macomb Dakota at 6 p.m. Nov. 8 at Lake Shore. The Cougars beat L'Anse Creuse in three games Nov. 6 at Lake Shore.
“I thought the girls played well. We came out with a gameplan and we stuck to it,” South coach Ryan Welser said.
The Blue Devils didn’t lose a game in the match, but the contest was close throughout.
The Stallions (25-14-4) held leads at various points of each game before South battled to win each stanza.
The Blue Devils took a 10-9 lead in the first game they wouldn’t relinquish. In game two, Sterling Heights High led 15-14 before South went on an 11-5 run to seal the win. The Blue Devils and Stallions traded points early in game three before South took a 9-8 advantage and held on for the win.
“We had a lead in each of those games but mental errors cost us,” Sterling Heights High assistant coach Kevin Bullis said. “We played well enough to win tonight but we couldn’t overcome some mistakes. Hats off to (Grosse Pointe South), though.”
The Blue Devils scored out of every timeout called by the Stallions.
"(Sterling Heights) made some adjustments over the course of the second and third games, but I'm glad with how we responded," Welser said.
In other volleyball news:
Clarkston defeated MAC Blue champion Utica Eisenhower in three games in a Class A regional semifinal and will take on Seaholm at 7 p.m. Nov. 8 at Rochester High.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- Tough slate readies Lutheran North Golf team for playoffs - Macomb Township
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start