Published May 2, 2014
Grosse Pointe South in running for national award
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
Grosse Pointe South is in the running to be named the top girls sports program in America.
The Grosse Pointe School District has announced that USA Today has listed South has one of the top five programs in Michigan. This selection enters South in the competition to determine the number one girls sports program in the nation.
South’s girls have claimed the last three state championships in track and field, 2011 state titles in golf and cross country, back-to-back runner-up finishes in basketball in 2012 and 2013, and several other top-five state finishes in field hockey, soccer, tennis and swimming.
The first phase of the competition is to determine the number one girls sports program in Michigan. The winner of the state competition will advance to the regional round to compete against the winner from other states.
Other schools competing for the Michigan title are Bloomfield Hills Marian, Detroit Country Day, Grand Rapids South Christian and East Grand Rapids.
All are welcome to log onto contest.usatodayhss.com to vote for their favorite program. Voting concludes May 9.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams