Grosse PointesMarch 13, 2012
Grosse Pointe South girls basketball team defeats Waterford Kettering to advance to state semis
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
DETROIT — The historic season that Grosse Pointe South's girls basketball team is enjoying will continue, as the Blue Devils defeated Waterford Kettering 58-54 Tuesday evening March 13 in a Class A quarterfinal game played at Calihan Hall.
South (22-3) had already advanced further than it has in the history of the program by winnining a district title this season, and now the Blue Devils will be heading to East Lansing to face Ann Arbor Huron (21-5) in a semifinal matchup at 2:50 p.m. Friday, March 16 at MSU's Breslin Center.
"The kids I coach are great students, (and) they're very goal-oriented," South coach Kevin Richards said. " I'm very proud of how they performed. They believed. We got a senior like Caitlin Moore; she carried us. Greg Esler (Warren De La Salle boys basketball coach) told me in August, 'stop thinking you just want to win the district. You got to get your kids believing you're going to the Breslin Center.'"
Moore also has some ideas as to why the Blue Dev'ils will be making a trip tp East Lansing.
"No one on our team wanted to lose," she said. "They all played with so much heart. This is our goal, and we didn't want to settle for anything less than that."
Moore led South with 19 points; Claire Deboer chipped in 17 for the Blue Devils.
Allison Bicknell led Ketterling with 13 points, while teammates Hannah Huff and Arjanai Washington scored 11 points, respectively.
Elsewhere, in a Class C quarterfinal at Highland-Milford, Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett beat Riverview Gabriel Richard 65-29 to return to East Lansing. Liggett (22-4), state runner-up last year, faces Concord (26-0) in a 1 p.m. Thursday, March 15 state semifinal at the Breslin.
And in Class B, Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day lost 56-47 to Goodrich in a quarterfinal at North Branch.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start