FraserNovember 7, 2012
Fraser bows out of volleyball playoffs
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Fraser High’s volleyball season came to an end during district play, as the team fell in five games to Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse Oct. 31 in a semifinal at Roseville High.
The Ramblers wrap up the year 22-21-1, and coach Melissa Criteser said the team has plenty of reasons not to hang its head.
“We had some great moments throughout the year,” she said.
“They have so much heart,” the coach continued. “They never gave up. The effort was always there. I couldn’t ask more from them.”
Criteser noted that the team’s biggest improvements came in communication and cohesiveness.
“They came together and played more as a team than six different girls on the court,” she said.
As for the team’s four seniors — Chelsea Owens, Hannah VanDerlinden, Kayla Belfiori and Kazmira Eldaly — Criteser said the group came into the season mostly inexperienced at the varsity level, but they left as proven leaders.
“They left an imprint on these (underclassmen),” the coach said.
And as for the future, Criteser believes the program will be in good shape if the returning players apply the lessons learned from this season, especially the importance of mental toughness.
“Going into next year, I think this year the girls realized how being in the (Macomb Area Conference Red Division), you can never go into a match over confident. It’s all great competition; you can’t overlook anybody.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start