FraserOctober 26, 2012
Ford II boys soccer team downs Birmingham Groves, moves on to state semis
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
FRASER — Utica Ford II junior midfielder Costa Wells scored his second title-winning goal of the playoffs, as his first-half strike put the Falcons into the state semifinals as Ford II got past Birmingham Groves 1-0 in a regional final Oct. 26 at Fraser High.
Wells got a pass from senior midfielder/defender Drew Niewoit that he was able to kick past Groves junior goalkeeper Kevin Simpson at 27:39 of the first half.
"(Niewoit) actually took the ball from a defender and hitme with a pass right through the middle," said Wells, who also scored the goal that gave Ford II a district title Oct. 19 against Warren De La Salle. "It was a breakaway from there and all I had to do was slide it into the net."
Ford II (12-6-5) moves on to play Grand Blanc in a Division 1 state semi, set for 6 p.m. Oct. 31 at Lake Orion High. The winner of that matchup will play in the state title game Nov. 3. The time and site of the game were not available at press time.
Ford II coach Teri Steinwascher called the goal brilliant. She added that her defense and goalkeeping have been stellar during the run.
"Kyle Kline has been great," said Steinwascher, acknowledging her goalkeeper who hasn't allowed a goal the entire postseason. "They stayed cool and calm, and now they're regional champs."
Groves (12-6-8) had its chances in the second half. A shot by Groves junior Iain Mason with 17:13 to play went just wide of the net.
The Ford II keeper also made a leaping, one-handed save to stop a shot near the crossbar with 14:15 left to preserve the lead.
"You just have to react to shots like that and that's what I did," Kline said.
"We talked about early in the game not making the mistake that would cost us the game," Groves coach Jim Stachura said. "We thought we were ready for the game. We made adjustments and left goals on the field. We just didn't capitalize on their opportunities."
Ford II advanced to the regional final after knocking off Grosse Pointe South 3-0 in a regional semi played Oct. 23 at Fraser. Ford II earlier beat De La Salle 1-0 to win its district title Oct. 19 at Chippewa Valley.
Groves got to the regional final by downing Macomb L’Anse Creuse North 4-1 in a regional semi Oct. 23 at Fraser. Groves bested Berkley High 3-2 in overtime to win its D-1 district title Oct. 19 at Berkley.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start