Sterling HeightsJanuary 15, 2013
Ford II’s Machart wins title at 2012 Macomb County Wrestling Invitational
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
Utica Ford II junior wrestler Tevin Machart has come close to winning titles at the annual Macomb County Wrestling Invitational — finishing second and third as a freshman and sophomore, respectively.
The 135-pounder took the next step this season, taking down Richmond’s Austin Cattera 11-4 to win the 135-pound championship.
Machart had to get by five wrestlers to capture the title.
“This is my first title. I always felt kind of bad the last couple years because I came so close,” said Machart, who placed sixth at the 2012 Michigan High School Athletic Association state finals in the 130-pound division.
“I’m glad I was able to get the win, because I work really hard every day. It feels really good.”
Machart, in his third year with the Falcons’ wrestling team, said getting the win was a relief. His mentality going in to the final was “just don’t lose.”
Ford II coach Nick Leon said he was pleased with Machart’s performance at the invitational, which took place Dec. 21-22 at Clinton Township Chippewa Valley High.
That installment was the 39th edition of the tournament. Only two wrestlers have won titles in each of their four years as competitors: Roseville High’s Doug Zundel (2008-12) and Algonac High’s Al Biland (1983-86).
“It’s pretty tough to go out and win those tournaments, so I’m really happy for (Machart),” said Leon, in his third year with the Falcons. “He did a lot of work to improve and get better.
“Sure, there were some guys he knew he should have beaten to get to the final, but the fact that he went out and did what he needed to do says a lot about the type of kid he is.”
On the south wall of the Ford II wrestling room is somewhat of a wall of fame that lists wrestlers who have won titles or placed at major tournaments. Machart’s name will be added to the wall one day, and he’s proud of that fact.
“It hasn’t been updated in a while, but it will be, and it’ll be pretty crazy to see my name up there,” Machart said.
The Falcons’ next match is a Macomb Area Conference White Division league meet, set for 5:30 p.m. Jan. 17 at Madison Heights Lamphere. Scheduled to compete are Ford II, Lamphere, Warren Lincoln, Marysville, Roseville and Port Huron Northern.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start