Farmington, Farmington HillsNovember 8, 2012
Farmington Hills Mercy volleyball heading to quarters
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
FARMINGTON — Farmington Hills Mercy volleyball punched its ticket to the Class A quarterfinal.
The Marlins beat Livonia Stevenson 25-18, 25-14 and 25-20 Nov. 8 at Farmington High.
After taking the first game, the second was tied at 4-4 before Mercy went on a run and never looked back.
"I think we kind of started off a little rough coming out of the first game. We were confident, but at the same time, I think we knew what we had to do to get it done," Mercy senior Mary Dulzo said. "We had to serve hard, we had to pass well, and as soon as we were at 4-4, we knew we had to (turn) it on."
Mercy never trailed in the third game, though the squads exchanged multiple ties as Stevenson kept battling.
"They have been fighters the entire season, and they ended up fighting until the final point," Stevenson coach Kelly Graham said. "We kept plugging away, but Mercy put everything back up that we gave them."
The Spartans end the season 27-17-2, while Mercy goes to 46-10.
"It feels great. The whole season we've been working towards this. We've been trying to get to states since the beginning. I'm just so excited to continue on," Dulzo said.
Mercy takes on the winner of Dearborn High and Temperance Bedford at 7 p.m. Nov. 13 at Gibralter Carlson.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start