Shelby Township, UticaFebruary 27, 2013
Eisenhower cheer team wins league title
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
For four or five years or so, the Utica Eisenhower cheer team has been trying to overcome Utica Stevenson for a Macomb Area Conference Red Division title, according to coach Danielle Sclafani.
Sclafani said that, in most of those years, Eisenhower finished second to Stevenson.
She was waiting for the year her team would break through and capture a league championship, and this was it, as Eisenhower won what Sclafani was told is the first division title in program history.
She enjoyed seeing the fruition of a long-awaited goal.
“For a number of years, it seemed that we pushed (ourselves) and came so close,” Sclafani said. “And to actually win it this year was such a great accomplishment for the kids, the team (and) our spectators at school. It was a wonderful day, and a wonderful feeling to finally cinch the title. It was a priceless moment. Just to hear the girls’ names called was an accomplishment. They had been working so hard for so many years. It was a moment that I’ll never forget.”
As nice as a league title is, Eisenhower’s season didn’t end there. The Eagles went on to finish in fourth place in a district competition, which qualified them for regionals, and along with Warren Cousino, were named the sportsmanship award winners for the MAC Red. Sclafani also picked up Coach of Year honors in the division. Ike wrapped up the season after finishing seventh in its regional, hosted by Troy Athens Feb. 23. Stoney Creek, Rochester High, Southgate Anderson and Stevenson advanced to the state final from the Troy Athens regional.
Sclafani thinks her cheerleaders understand that their success may have helped to set a new standard for the program.
“I think they’ve paved a new road for those incoming girls to really step up to the plate, and giving them the confidence to show them, ‘Look, we wanted it enough. We worked hard enough, and you can do it, too.”
Sclafani expressed optimism that the future of Eisenhower’s cheerleading program has the potential to be a good one.
“Eisenhower’s a great school,” the coach said. “They’ve always had a strong cheerleading program. When I took over, they had just come off of a state championship in 2004 (Michigan Competitive Cheer Association), and I felt like I had big shoes to fill walking in there.
“It’s taken quite a few years, but we’ve worked our way up the ladder and made a name for ourselves in the Macomb and Oakland area, and a lot of the teams we compete against. I think that achieving these small steps along the way, that it really has laid the foundation for what’s to come.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals