Macomb CountySeptember 24, 2012
Eagles best Big Reds
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP – Utica Eisenhower’s boys soccer team stretched its lead in the Macomb Area Conference Red Division standings with a 4-1 win over Chippewa Valley Sept. 24 at Chippewa.
The Eagles got a pair of first half goals by senior Ryan Goike, while Chippewa got on the board with a penalty kick from senior Dalton Amez to make it 2-1 at halftime.
Ike increased its advantage, as seniors Garrett Rastigue and Georgi Manilov scored in the second half.
The win means Ike wraps up the first half of division play unbeaten at 5-0-0, while improving to 13-0-0 overall.
“It’s a nice win for the league. Chippewa’s been playing really well,” Ike coach Josh VanHouten said. “We can’t have an off night.”
The loss drops Chippewa, meanwhile, to 3-1-1 in the MAC Red and 6-5-2 overall.
“The first goal set the precedent. Then it didn’t get any better after that,” Chippewa coach Gerry Haggarty said. “I don’t think we played that well today. I felt we played hurried. They’re a very good team, but we could have played better.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start