WarrenFebruary 6, 2013
De La Salle wrestling wins D-1 district title
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
WARREN — The Warren De La Salle wrestling team was dominant on its way to capturing a Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 district championship, besting Roseville 43-32 in a district final Feb. 6 at Warren Cousino.
De La Salle moves on to face the winner of the Sterling Heights High district. That regional semifinal will take place Feb. 13 at Anchor Bay.
In the district final, the Pilots scored six pins for 36 points. Four of the six pins came in the first round of each match, with the other two coming in the secomd round.
"We work hard every day. We had three varsity guys missing today too, so we had some guys step up," De La Salle coach Dennis Parks said. "I thought it would have been a lot tougher than it was, but you never know."
The matchup was tight through the first four matches. Going into the fifth match, the Panthers held a 12-10 advantage. The Pilots ran off four straight pins to take a 34-12 lead and led the rest of the way.
The loss ends a string of three straight trips to the state finals for the Panthers.
"They came to wrestle, and we didn't do our best tonight," Roseville coach Davon Gray said. "Hats off to them. We could have wrestled better."
To get to the district final, De La Salle knocked off Warren Cousino 54-10. Roseville overcame a 24-12 deficit to best Fraser 42-24 in its semifinal.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Rice baseball marches to Battle Creek, beats Lake Orion 7-3 in D-1 quarterfinal - Birmingham
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Macomb County prep basketball standouts to play in fourth annual All-Star games - Warren
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals