WarrenJune 13, 2012
De La Salle baseball team heads to state quarters for first time since 2009
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
MACOMB TOWNSHIP — After the Pilots won their first Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 regional title since 2009, Warren De La Salle baseball coach Matt Cook said that was a goal the team’s seniors set at the outset of the 2012 season.
“They knew we lost in the regional final in 2010 and 2011, and they didn’t want to do that again,” Cook said.
The Pilots’ state quarterfinal matchup with Hartland High was played after press time. The Division 1 state semifinals are June 15 in Battle Creek.
De La Salle last won a state title in 2009, which is the last time it won a regional title.
In capturing the regional title, the Pilots (18-21-1) had to win two games June 9. Those contests were complete contrasts of one another.
In a regional semifinal against Utica Ford II, De La Salle gave up a 10-6 lead in the bottom of the seventh inning before winning the game 12-10 in eight innings.
In the regional final with Anchor Bay, the Pilots busted the game open and put it out of reach with a huge 14-run fifth inning on their way to a 15-3 five-inning win over the Tars. De La Salle was down 2-1 going into that decisive fifth stanza.
Sophomore Dominic DiPuma put the exclamation point on De La Salle’s regional title win with a two-out grand slam in that big fifth inning to put the Pilots up 15-2.
“I just looked fastball and thought curve,” said DiPuma, who went 3-for-4 in the regional final. “I was just able to get my bat out there and take it over.”
Cook said he was just looking to come out of the fifth inning tied with Anchor Bay. He said he told any runners who advanced to third to look for a squeeze call because he wanted to manufacture one run in any way possible.
“The win is really good for the kids, especially after we lost in (the regional final) the last couple years,” Cook said. “We’re not done yet, though.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Groves volleyball gives back - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start