Macomb TownshipNovember 14, 2012
Dakota volleyball wins second consecutive regional championship
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
Macomb Dakota’s volleyball team earned a trip to the quarterfinals after defeating Grosse Pointe South 3-0 in a Class A regional final match Nov. 8 at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore High School.
Dakota took on Birmingham Seaholm in a quarterfinal match Nov. 13, after press time. The winner advances to the semifinals to face either Fenton or Northville at 7:15 p.m. Nov. 16 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek.
The Cougars were able to gain comfortable leads in each game, en route to victories of 25-17, 25-10 and 25-14.
At press time, Dakota had swept every match this postseason, which includes three district tournament victories, as well as a regional semifinal win against Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse Nov. 6.
Dakota coach Tracie Ferguson has her ideas as to why the Cougars have been on a roll this postseason.
“I think it’s just a total team effort,” she said following the match. “As a team, we are playing together. That’s what it’s all about. We’re having fun.”
Dakota also made it to the quarterfinals last season, dropping a 3-2 match to Lake Orion, which finished as state runner-up. Ferguson hopes that experience will help the Cougars as they will look to do something the program has never done before — earn a semifinals berth.
“I think we’re a little more level-headed,” she said. “Next week is going to be a big deal for us because we haven’t done it yet. Dakota volleyball’s never got past quarterfinals. I think that’s going to be a big test for us.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start